We give you thanks, God our Father, for Abbot Francis Pfanner and Mother Paula Emunds. May the holiness of their lives inspire us to serve You and work for Your honor and glory. Bless all of us that we may faithfully and joyfully continue the work which they began. All for and with God! Father Founder and Mother Paula, pray for us!
"Deep down in my soul I feel that we have lost our Founder, our Father… Oh, how profound and painful this loss is to me…This strong and noble soul never for one moment gave in to natural weakness. He was and remained a Trappist until the end… relishing those episodes in his eventful life when Divine Providence had led him in unknown ways and quite often in spite of himself. At such times, he said, he could rest assured to have fulfilled God’s will."
-- Mother Paula Emunds on the Death of Abbot Francis Pfanner
Mother Paula Emunds, Co-Foundress
8 January 1865 - 21 May 1948
1. A valiant woman strong and true, in all things sought God’s will; left home and all she knew and loved, to dare the utmost for God.
2. Christ’s Precious Blood, her priceless treasure, was shed for one and for all; no sacrifice too much to render to make God’s great love known.
3. God is my Father, I’m God’s child, rest safely in God’s love; our God is good and truly good is everything God does.
4. In loving union with our God, and faithful in little things; Paula Emunds made her life a constant worship of God.
Text: Marian Maskulak, cps Tune: Land of Rest: meter: 86 86
Sung by: CPS Generalate - 20 May 2020, Rome, Italy
Abbot Francis Pfanner, Father Founder
21 September 1825 - 24 May 1909
1. Full of love for God and neighbor Francis Pfanner sought God’s way. Daily seeking only God’s will he continued come what may. Fully trusting, never doubting, full of faith in God alone, thus he ran the race before him so to reach th’eternal home.
2. Set on fire to spread the Gospel prayer and work filled all his days. Holding fast through pain and struggle he relied upon God’s grace. Zeal for mission knew no bound’ries, all God’s people must be served, this apostle to the Zulus wanted all to hear God’s Word.
3. As we gather round God’s table sharing life and breaking bread, Francis Pfanner would remind us Precious Blood for us was shed. Called to live the Paschal Myst’ry, love God’s people far and near, in our living, in our actions may our witness stand out clear.
Text: Marian Maskulak, cps Tune: Beach Spring; meter: 87 87 D
Sung by: CPS North American Province - May 2009, Toronto, Canada